Looking ahead, both literally and figuratively, with help you anticipate potential hazards on the road. Your ability to handle dangerous traffic situations depends largely on searching for and identifying problems far ahead.
- Scan ahead at least 15 seconds.
- Watch for vehicles entering the road as they are likely moving slower than you.
- Watch for vehicles parked/pulled over on the side of the road.
- Be cautious of stale Green lights at intersections.
- Signs warning of speed changes, road hazards or construction zones.
- Scan continuously, checking your side view mirrors regularly. Be aware of your blind spots.
- Plan your route and anticipate what is ahead to avoid a situation where you have to back up.