Holiday events and celebrations can be exciting times for family and friends to get together. But, get-togethers with family and friends can turn into tragedies when people are killed or injured in traffic crashes. With the biggest shopping weekend of the year (Black Friday) just passing and the increased number of drivers visiting relatives for the holidays, it’s important to always be aware of the conditions on the roadways. In the last 4 weeks, at least 5 waste industry workers have been struck and killed by vehicles on the road. Driving on the road is the most dangerous activity most people do in a day, so working on the road, outside of the protection of a vehicle, only compounds the danger. We cannot control the behavior of others, so it is critical the we do what we can to protect ourselves.
- Do not assume that a driver can or will see you
- Do not stand/walk in the roadway any longer than absolutely necessary
- Do not “Double Side” or collect containers from both sides of a marked two-lane street
- Avoid working in the roadway following a blind curve or hill
- Always wear high visibility clothing (Class 2 minimum)
STAY ALERT, STAY VISIBLE, STAY ALIVE!